Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ridiculousness

I regularly go through ESPN and look at the headlines to see what the latest news is. I came across one today title "Report: ChiSox's Buehrle Hoped for Vick Injury" and just wondered why anyone would hope for such a thing. Here is what the article read:




"Chicago White Sox pitcher and animal rights activist Mark Buehrle told MLB.com recently that there were times this season he wished Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick would get hurt.
In 2007, Vick was convicted of a felony related to a dogfighting ring and served 19 months in prison.
'He had a great year and a great comeback, but there were times where we watched the game, and I know it's bad to say, but there were times where we hope he gets hurt,' Buehrle told MLB.com. 'Everything you've done to these dogs, something bad needs to happen to these guys.'
At some point after the story was posted on MLB.com, the quotes were removed from the story, but the writer, Scott Merkin, had posted them on his Twitter account.
After serving his prison time, Vick was signed by the Eagles in 2009. This past season he was named NFL Comeback Player of the Year after making the Pro Bowl with the Eagles.
Buehrle and his wife, Jamie, who have three dogs, are active in promoting canine rights and have partnered with the White Sox on a program called "Sox for Strays," which hosts area animal rescue groups during the season at U.S. Cellular Field.
Jamie Buehrle made news in December when she helped save a dog who was found wandering the streets in St. Louis with an arrow sticking out of its abdomen. The Buehrles donated money to help pay the dog's veterinarian bills and, through Facebook, found a home for the dog."

I have become thoroughly disgusted by people who believe in the words that Mark Buehrle has said. I just can't put my head around why, firstly, some one would ever wish ill upon another person and secondly, why these people seem to esteem animals as higher priority than people. Why does Michael Vick have to get hurt. He was punished in prison and served his time so what more punishment does he need?

I'm not justifying his actions but cut the guy some slack and don't act like you've never done something wrong in your life. If someone wished hurt upon you for a mistake you've made then what would you do?

Yes animals are important but don't tell me that they have higher priority over man. Man, being made in God's image has dominion over animals (Genesis 1:26). We have the right to eat any animals (Genesis 9:3). God accepted offerings of blood and from animals over death and shedding was involved; as a symbol for Jesus' death. Jesus tells that while sparrows live and breathe because of God and through God they are not worth more than man (Luke 12:6-7).

I guess all I'm trying to say is that we should respect people and not be all over them because of a mistake they made in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment