It's been almost 3 months since I've posted anything on here and I've been bombarded with questions about what's going on and how I feel. I am a devout Buckeye and I don't believe that this will change anything in the way that I feel towards the university. My reaction was basically the same as when I heard about Michael Vick or Plaxico Burress which is that people make mistakes that are going to require consequences. Michael Vick is one of my favorite players in the NFL and he messed up then he faced his consequences and came out of it. I'm just as human as that so who am I to judge him. He came back in the League and was arguably better than he was before. Has he learned from his choices? Only time will tell but I am not here to stand up and tell him he doesn't deserve the respect of everyone.
Something you need to know about me is that I'm all about second, third, fourth, fifth chances, and on to infinity. Forgive until you're dead. I'm laid back and can get over people wronging me in an instant (except for LeBron but no one likes him anyways!). I'm all about moving over and getting on with what the future holds. I've compiled a list of five main questions that I've been asked with the answers that I can provide.
1. What is your thought of Jim Tressel's career at Ohio State and how will you remember his legacy?
-I'm going to remember Jim Tressel as being one of the most successful coaches in Ohio State. His coaching skills were legendary and he knew how to handle a strong team. I'm going to remember Jim Tressel for bringing the first Championship to Ohio sports since 1970 when Woody Hayes did it. I'm going to remember Jim Tressel for 7 Big Ten Championships in 10 years. I'm going to remember Jim Tressel for making it to a record 8 BCS Bowls (5-3 record). I'm going to remember Jim Tressel for an outstanding 106 wins in 10 years (averaging 10.6 wins a year is pretty spectacular). But most importantly, being a Buckeye, I'm going to remember Jim Tressel for a 9-1 record against Michigan. A rivalry this great could go either way no matter how much better the one team is than the other. Michigan teams may have been pretty bad as of late but winning 7 in a row is more than amazing for Tressel. His exit is far from pretty and is going to have people thinking of what could have been for years but for me his legacy will stay and will always be on the field.
2. What are your thoughts on Terrelle Pryor?
-Pryor is different than Tressel. I was extremely excited when I was a junior in high school sitting in the school's library watching the press conference of him signing with us. It was one of the biggest signings in Ohio State history. Unlike Tressel, Pryor's legacy falls on the tattoos, rings, and cars instead of the field. He was a good quarterback and would have gotten better. For me I feel like he is running away from Ohio State. While he is getting ready to possibly play on Sundays, the rest of this team will be preparing for the season and taking the punishment and sanctions that the NCAA will undoubtedly be handing out. His actions have led to other, "innocent" people taking the consequences, as is the situation with Matt Barkley and USC. I think that he can be a successful quarterback in the NFL if someone is willing to take a chance on him and train him like someone is training Tim Tebow or Cam Newton. On the other side he may get early success from trying to become a receiver and polishing up that game. I wouldn't mind a 6'6" wildcat in my offense.
3. What does the future look like for Ohio State?
-I don't have a large opinion on this but I'm sure that the NCAA will be handing out sanctions but it is certainly still up in the air what they will be. I have a feeling that it will be 2 years of probation including no bowls but that may be more. With Reggie Bush, that was just one player at the school but this is multiple players that have already admitted to it so I feel that the punishment may be more grave than that. Then there is recruiting. This depends on what happens with the sanctions. The larger the sanctions the more that big name recruits will shy away from playing for the Buckeyes. Lastly there is the issue of coaching. Luke Fickell is 2011 but what about beyond that. A lot rides on what happens this season which will tell the story of Luke Fickell. A lot is shown of a person from watching the way the handle adversity and we'll get to see a lot of Luke's character this year. Here's the thing, if Urban Meyer makes himself available for 2012, or maybe even Bob or Mike Stoops make themselves available, then Fickell is certainly out. This would be a dream job for Urban Meyer and he would be a dream Head Coach for Ohio State. I really hope that he chooses to come and coach in Columbus but we'll have to wait and see.
4. How do you think the 2011 season will go?
-I may be crazy but I 100% believe they can win the Big Ten regardless of the suspensions or losing Pryor. Ohio State has always had a great program even when losing big players. Troy Smith leaves and they still make the National Championship the next season. In my opinion there will not be a team in the nation that works harder than the group of Buckeyes that are there now. Most of what I believe can be summed up by watching this 2011 Buckeye Football. It's time to shock the world!
5. What is your overall opinion of Ohio State?
-This answer can be summed up in three phrases: "THE Ohio State University." "I bleed Scarlet and Gray." "Buckeye till I die!"
I hope me answering these questions helps you to understand where I am coming from and what I see in this situation.
No comments:
Post a Comment